Connect with us

1st Base

“Foster Your Roster” – 2013 MLFB First Basemen Ranks

As usual, first base should provide a great deal of productivity for you.  There is definitely a shift happening, with a number of young players that were highly touted prospects ready to become the next stars.  It’s a balancing act to avoid overrating them, while still making sure you don’t miss out.

1. Albert Pujols:  Once he got over the slow start, he looked like the Pujols we’re all used to and his adjustment period to AL is over.
  1. Joey Votto:  Assuming he starts the year healthy.
  1. Prince Fielder:  You can make a case for him anywhere in the top 3.
  1. Edwin Encarnacion:  I tried to find reasons to call last season a fluke, and I couldn’t.  He may not hit 40 HRs again, but he can get into the 30s, and put up RBI’s and Runs in what appears to be a good Blue Jays lineup.
  1. Adrian Gonzalez:  Playing in LA agreed with him last year, and a .300 avg with 30+ HRs and 100+ RBIs is still possible.
  1. Billy Butler:  Finally delivered the power everyone was waiting for, and maintained a strong average to go with it. He should be able to do both again.
  1. Paul Goldschmidt:  He had multiple 30 HR seasons in the minors, hits for a good average, steals bases, and plays in a hitter friendly home park.
  1. Mark Teixeira:  He missed some games last year, which is why his numbers were lower, but that may help you get him for less or later in the draft.
  1. Anthony Rizzo:  He finished last year strong.  Prorating his stats over a full season, makes him a star. Any improvement on top of that makes him elite.
  1. Ike Davis:  His BABIP shows some bad luck last season, but in the second half he hit .255 with 20 HRs.  Potential for 40 HRs is a rarity, and he is worth the risk because of it.
  1. Paul Konerko:  People ignore him every draft because he’s old, but every year he puts up solid stats.
  1. Freddie Freeman:  Improved his walk and strikeout rates last season and should hit for a higher average, but if he doesn’t break 30 HRs, then he won’t reach the next level.
  1. Ryan Howard:  His average was down when he came back, but a full season could see that correct itself.  Plus, 30+ HRs looks likely, even based on 2012’s numbers.
  1. Adam LaRoche:  See Paul Konerko.
  1. Corey Hart:  You may be better off using him as an OF, but he should put up good numbers either way.
  1. Allen Craig:  I don’t think his HR total will be enough to be anything more than slightly above average for first basemen.
  1. Chris Davis:  With 22 HRs at home, Camden Yards was good to Davis.  The career prospect is 27, and the Orioles seem committed to playing, but the 30% strikeout rate is a big concern.
  1. Eric Hosmer:  He should improve on last year’s numbers, but with so many other productive options at 1B, I wouldn’t take a chance on him until I had another source of production locked up.
  1. Kendrys Morales:  His power came back in the second half (14 HRs, compared to 8 in the first half).  Hopefully, being fully healthy will offset playing in Seattle.
  1. Adam Dunn:  All 41 HRs still counted, despite the low average, which can’t possibly get any worse.
  1. Todd Frazier:  I’d rank him higher if the Reds weren’t, foolishly, still entertaining the idea of bringing Scott Rolen back.
  1. Lance Berkman:  Injuries have taken their toll on Berkman, but he’s worth starting when able to play.
  1. Justin Morneau:  Can be an average first basemen, as long as he stays on the field for enough at bats.
  1.  Yonder Alonso:  It was a disappointing season, but ended positively, so there is hope for improvement.
  1. Mitch Moreland:  He may be a platoon player, but he’s useful against right-handed pitchers.

13 Comments

13 Comments

1. SportsVault (@sports_vault)

January 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm

No Brandon Belt? Kinda odd…he has a ton of upside.

2. Marc Foster

January 14, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Honestly, Belt was someone I forgot about. I’d probably put him right after Frazier though, in 472 plate appearances last year he only had 7 HRs, so even with 600 he probably won’t break 20 HRs. Justin Smoak is another guy that fit in towards the bottom of the list.

Also, I intentionally excluded guys like Napoli and Posey who may qualify at 1B but add so much value at Catcher that I think you almost have to play them there.

3. Corey D Roberts

January 14, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I would not take Brandon Belt over any of those guys.

4. Corey D Roberts

January 14, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I guess I could make a small case for Garrett Jones to be on the list. His primary will be 1st this year.

5. Bobby Lewis

January 15, 2013 at 10:04 am

I have seen some rankings that have Belt as high as 14. Not saying i fully trust him to be my starter but possibly someone to look at.

6. Corey D Roberts

January 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

That is nuts. Brandon Belt is not a top 20 1B, let alone top 15. Yikes.

7. duffdestroyers

January 21, 2013 at 4:32 pm

ok for whatever its worth you need to move tex down and slide paul goldschmidt up. the kid has ledgit “Beast” credentials. I guarantee by next year he will tear up the 1st base charts. I also think you should not sleep on Kendry Morales, Seattle is committed to him at 1b and his AB’s will be there, please do not forget he was quite ledgit prior to the homerplate incident that wrecked his initial climb up the 1b charts. Also not that safeco is moving the fences in which will only help his case. Just my 2 cents,spend it how you will 🙂

8. Corey D Roberts

January 21, 2013 at 5:09 pm

That is what the blog is for Duff. I am sure everyone has their preferences on position rankings. I have my own list, but Marc has been pretty good in the past. He has 2 titles in the last 4 years in MLFB which is a very difficult group of owners to beat. All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

9. Marc Foster

January 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Duff, I see where you’re coming from on a couple of things, but even with all his potential I could never take Goldschmidt over guys who have performed at a high level for a full season, plus sophmore slumps aren’t exactly rare.

Last season was the first year since 2003 that Tex hasn’t hit 30 HRs or more and it’s not because he didn’t hit for power it’s because he was hurt. I’ll gladly take that consistency over some of the guys below him.

10. duffdestroyers

January 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

marc,
    The hardest thing to realize is change is coming lol. I know what u are saying about sophmore slumps we saw it with heyward in atl in 2011 and ian kennedy in arizona also dropped off the next year i believe. (note that i think heyward is arguably a top 10 of for 2013 ). I would not get scared off with a value pick in the later rounds with paul goldschmidt or kendry morales is all i am saying. I look forward to debating with you all on many topics lol. great blog network COrey I am loving it

11. Corey D Roberts

January 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

Appreciate it Duff, Marc should have 2B out tonight or tomorrow so keep a eye out for it.

12. David

January 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Nice list! I agree!

13. Corey D Roberts

January 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Thanks David. I am sure Marc will appreciate the thumbs up. How is your blog coming along?