Connect with us

CB

“The Amateur Ward” True Dynasty Rankings (IDPs Included)

I know what you readers are thinking: Not another rankings list…please not another rankings list! These rankings, however, account for not only PPR points, but also factor in IDP players, return yardage in the punt and kickoff game, and are tailored for dynasty-type leagues. Some of you will go “Where’s Player X,” “Player Y is too high,” or Your first D player is too high.” Trust me, I looked over not only stats and points from last season in MLFF leagues and similar leagues, but also factor in changes to rosters, depth charts, and potential suspensions. If anyone would like to peacefully discuss why I ranked the way I did please feel free to in the comment section. Also, I would be interested to see where you guys have the first ranked rookie WR and RB as there are a ton of opinions out there, and I think there could be a case made for a handful of rookies in the Top 75.

1.) Adrian Peterson RB1 (Photo courtesy of sportsmemes.net)

2.) LeSean “Shady” McCoy RB2

3.) Jamaal Charles RB3

4.) Eddie Lacy RB4

5.) Calvin Johnson WR1

6.) Matt Forte RB5

7.) Marshawn Lynch RB6

8.) Demaryius Thomas WR2

9.) DeMarco Murray RB7

10.) Peyton Manning QB1

11.) Aaron Rodgers QB2

12.) Drew Brees QB3

13.) Jimmy Graham TE1

14.) A.J. Green WR3

15.) Julio Jones WR4 (Photo courtesy of usatoday.com)

16.) Gio Bernard RB8

28.) Andre Johnson WR9

29.) Cam Newton QB6

30.) Alfred Morris RB 13

31.) Le’Veon Bell RB14

32.) Jordy Nelson WR10

33.) Randall Cobb WR11

34.) Larry Fitzgerald WR12 (Photo courtesy of gtn206.com)

35.) C.J. Spiller RB15

44.) Victor Cruz WR18

45.) Luke Kuechly LB1

46.) Cordarrelle Patterson WR19

47.) Rob Gronkowski TE3

48.) Joique Bell RB17

49.) Frank Gore RB18

50.) Russell Wilson QB9  (Photo courtesy of rantsports.com)

51.) Ryan Mathews RB19

52.) Tony Romo QB10

53.) Matt Ryan QB11

54.) Sammy Watkins WR20

55.) Ray Rice RB 20

56.) Andre Ellington RB21

57.) Vernon Davis TE4

58.) Lavonte David LB2

59.) Jordan Cameron TE5

60.) Michael Crabtree WR22 (Photo courtesy of sfgate.com)

61.) Desean Jackson WR23

62.) Percy Harvin WR24

63.) Chris Johnson RB21

64.) Michael Floyd WR25

65.) Steven Jackson RB22

66.) Bishop Sankey RB23

67.) Julian Edelman WR26

68.) Trent Richardson RB24

69.) Colin Kaepernick QB12

70.) Nick Foles QB13

71.) Marques Colston WR27

72.) Brandin Cooks WR28

73.) J.J. Watt DE1 (Photo courtesy of football nation.com)

74.) Vontaze Burfict LB3

75.) Toby Gerhart RB25

Of the names listed above the players I would AVOID at all costs are: Trent Richardson (IND), Ray Rice (BAL), Montee Ball (DEN), Arian Foster (HOU), and Andre Ellington (ARZ) as I feel they will be taken too early. It is a gamble in which I base it on injury concerns, or risk of losing their job due to fumbles or inadequate production. Two names I would ABSOLUTELY gamble on are Cordarrelle Patterson (MIN) and Alfred Morris (WSH) ahead of his slot. These two players will both be huge steals where they are going in Drafts and could likely carry your team.

Once again thanks for tuning in this week, and don’t forget to watch your preseason games as the season draws closer. Next week I will unveil Rankings 76-150 and conclude with my breakouts, sleepers, and busts at every position; offense and defense.

Peace!

I am a recent college graduate from a small liberal arts school in Atlanta, GA. I’m a sports junkie and a diehard Atlanta sports fan.

16 Comments

16 Comments

1. Bryan Robinson

August 23, 2014 at 2:46 am

Is this list meant to be a ranking for a startup dynasty?

• Ben W

August 23, 2014 at 10:30 am

It’s meant for MLFF leagues, and leagues similar to it. So dynasty leagues could be included as well.

2. Bryan Robinson

August 23, 2014 at 7:35 pm

For dynasty there’s no way I would go RB at the top. The position is too volatile and the shelf life of the top guys just isn’t nearly as long as it is for WR. Calvin, A.J., Julio and Dez would all be atop my list before the first RB showed up, and that RB would probably be Shady and not AD because of age.

3. Ben W

August 24, 2014 at 12:32 am

I don’t think you could argue for taking a WR or QB 1st in Dynasty leagues if you had a top 2-3 pick. QB is deep as hell and you can get Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kaep, Ryan in the early middle rounds. Yes, MegaTron you will have to conceivably take in th top 5 if you want him to build around, and JJones, Dez, AJ will all go in the top 10-12, but RB is still thinnest position, so if I had a top 2-3 pick, I’d take RB. One of AD, Charles, McCoy, or possibly Lacy.

• Bryan Robinson

August 24, 2014 at 1:48 am

But new and serviceable RBs are constantly coming just into the league where as dominant WRs are much tougher to come across. And I don’t even think I’d take Peterson in the top 15, maybe top 20 overall.

• Ben W

August 24, 2014 at 10:34 am

Domionant WRs crop up every season as well, and ELITE RBs are much ahrder to come by. True, not every WR is going to turn out to be a MegaTron, Jerry Rice, or even a JJones/Green/Dez, but you can Draft WRs in the 2nd and 3rd and get players comparable to a Cobb/Nelson/White. Hell, you can get Cordarrelle Patterson in the early middle rounds this season, which is an absolute steal. I’m still going RB as reliable, durable RBs are harder to come by than reliable, durable WRs.

• Bryan Robinson

August 24, 2014 at 10:03 am

If you have a top 3 pick in a dynasty league, I don’t think there’s any way you could argue taking a position other than WR.

4. Bryan Robinson

August 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Patterson is a top-25 guy, no way he’s lasting til the middle rounds. He’s among the best young dynasty prospects out there. And if you anchor your team with great WRs, you’re able to reload with young RBs every couple years. There’s so much more stability at WR over time and they don’t fall off cliffs the way RBs can, which is why they should be valued more highly.

5. Ben W

August 24, 2014 at 9:36 pm

WR is also way deeper than RB, and with increasing RBBCs being utilized, one-back backfields are increasingly more scarce. Dominant young RBs are generally more fantasy friendly than WRs, especially those that are not in RBBCs. Patterson is def a top 25 guy, but I’d still rather go RB than WR if I had a top 3 pick. However, if MegaTron fell to me at 4 in a dynasty league, I’d take him most likely.

• Bryan Robinson

August 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm

How is Patterson a top-25 guy in your eyes if you’ve got him ranked #46 haha?

• Ben W

August 24, 2014 at 9:50 pm

These are for MLFF leagues. Plus MINNY still has major questions at QB. True, his return yards will help his value a ton, and he might be low on this list, but if you look at other rankings, I have him higher than most.

6. Bryan Robinson

August 24, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Ah so that’s the disconnect… MLFF leagues aren’t dynasty leagues. We only get to keep 3 a year as opposed to large chunks of a roster you can roll over in a true dynasty league. If these are strictly for MLFF leagues, then that makes more sense, but MLFF leagues and dynasty leagues are mutually exclusive.

• Corey D Roberts

August 25, 2014 at 1:10 am

Our leagues and dynasty leagues are different set ups for certain. The only difference is we don’t keep all the players, however our systems use dynasty depth along a strong IDP set up. So whether you decide to go RB or WR with your early picks is personal preference. You could use your approach Bryan or Ben’s. They both can work depending on a number of other variables.

• Ben W

August 25, 2014 at 8:50 am

Corey, agreed. Bryan, I respect your strategy, and see where you come from when you argue WR 1st. I go RB 1st generally as I have found it easier to find WRs later in the Draft than RBs. Granted, runs at both positions will happen, and you pick your spots, but you have to have a well-rounded team no matter what.
        For instance, in tonight’s MLFF3 Draft, I kept Marshall and DMartin as keeps. I’ll have the 5th pick once the Draft starts (can keep up to 4, 2 kept 1 player, 3 kept 2), and some of the top names are: Ball, Bell, Nelson, Jeffery, JThomas, Fitz, Bush, K. Allen, Cobb, Stacy. I will have options at 5th pick. My gut says Bell, Nelson, Thomas, Jeffery will be the first 4 picks in some order. Does that mean I’ll necessarily go RB over WR or WR over RB at 5? No, I’ll draft based upon gut instinct and who I think fits my team better.
        Marshall is a great PPR WR, but Jeffery may cut more into his looks this season. Martin is a force when healthy, but is coming off shoulder surgery, so I’ll have to have a plan in place to account for his slow comeback from injury.
        So Bryan, Corey, and I are all correct in arguing how you draft early, or your strategy. If you like RB-heavy, go RB early. If you like WR-heavy, which may provide a tad more consistency, go WR-route. The choice is yours, just make sure to have a solid group of WRs and RBs and DO NOT fret when runs start on any particular position.

7. Bryan Robinson

August 25, 2014 at 8:58 am

I think we’re talkin about two different things here, bro.

• Bryan Robinson

August 25, 2014 at 9:26 am

When I’m speaking of dynasty rankings, I’m doing so with the basic tenets of such a league in mind, namely that not only are the rosters larger, but you can keep just about any player on your roster indefinitely without penalty. That makes long-term potential as important as any factor in drafting a team. Thus, younger players with significantly longer career outlooks carry more weight than veterans on the downswing of their career (hence the top-25 ranking for Patterson). Odds are, if you load up your dynasty team with RBs at the top, a solid chunk of them might very well be out of the league within 3 years (check out 2011 ADPs), where as WR does not have quite an attrition rate. Ultimately though, MLFF leagues are not dynasty leagues, they are keeper leagues. I would argue, Corey, that MLFF leagues are not deeper, rather they are wider than traditional leagues. In a 12-team league, only 48 RB can be rostered maximum across the league and some standard leagues employ more depth than that. Our roster size is enlarged due to the addition of a full IDP defense, expanding our rosters to 29 per team because of how many positions need to be filled. In typical dynasty leagues, positions are mined much deeper and finding a serviceable replacement on the waiver wire is next to impossible, whereas MLFF leagues allow for backups to be scooped up on a weekly basis.